Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?

Smog Pump & Air Injection System Questions & Answers

Main Page:California Vehicle Buy Back Program

Question (a): I have one old 1985 Ford Truck want to apply to buyback. I can not pass smog check, how much will they pay me for it?

Question (b): We have a 1980 Toyota Celica that is a gross polluter...where do we turn it in and are we eligible for the $1000? We live in 94022. Also do we make an appointment for drop off etc....Need to get this out of the driveway.

Answer: The Bureau of Automotive Repair's (BAR) Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) is again offering a voluntary Vehicle Retirement Program. This program buys high-polluting vehicles from motorists. To qualify for the program your vehicle must fail its biennial smog check. The program will offer $1500 per vehicle as long as funds are available to low income applicants. You must first apply to CAP and obtain approval prior to receiving payment from a CAP-authorized dismantler. Contact the California State Bureau of Automotive Repairs at 1.800.952.5210.

Please Note: Your car, truck, van, SUV, or RV is only eligible for the vehicle retirement or vehicle buy back program after it fails it's smog test, and only if it is in it's biennial registration renewal process, AND the tags/registration are current; stickers must not be expired. The CAP Retirement program is not available anytime you decide to get rid of your car. You have to wait until the DMV requests a smog test or emissions test. Once the vehicle fails the test, you can contact the BAR and request a application.


Question (a): Does California still have a program to buy and crush old cars? My son has a 1991 Chevy Corsica he needs to dispose of. 2 years ago I sold my old Toyota to the state to e crushed, but don't know where to find out if the program is still on.

Question (b): My car is a gross polluter (80's cadillac) and it cost too much to fix to meet the smog requirements compared to the value of the car. Is there a state buy back program so that I can sell my car to the state so that I am not completely screwed by my crappy car?

Answer: Apply for the California Vehicle Buy Back program. The Bureau of Automotive Repair's (BAR) Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) is offering voluntary vehicle retirement for any vehicle which is failing it's biennial smog test. The CAP program will pay $1000 for high-polluting emissions test failing vehicles to motorists in an effort to promote new vehicle sales, and alternate methods of transportation. The program will offer $1500 per vehicle as long as funds are available to low income applicants. You must apply to CAP and obtain approval prior to receiving payment from a CAP -authorized dismantler. Contact the California State BAR at 1.800.952.5210. Also, please read the information above regarding when you are eligible to apply for this program.


Cash For Car Services - You may want to contact an authorized vehicle reseller or dismantler for immediate cash now.

Vehicle resellers buy cars for cash regardless of vehicle condition or registration status, and offer very competitive quotes.

Cars 'N Trucks - Serving Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Santa Barbara counties - (818) 939-8390

G & S International - Serving all counties in California - including Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Barbara.

Southern California          (818) 287-8583

Los Angeles County         (323) 319-6635

Orange County                (714) 332-6350

Central California             (805) 201-9069

Northern California           (661) 239-6944

CenCal Cars - Serving Fresno, Kern, Tulare, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, and Stanislaus counties - (559) 903-8550

CA Authorized Resellers - Top Dollar Paid for cars in any condition. We offer 24-hour tow service & pay cash for cars, trucks, vans, SUVs and RVs, running or not.

1. We Make an Offer - Give us a few details about your vehicle and which part of town it's in, and we’ll make you an instant offer by phone. Forget the hassle of searching for a buyer and then haggling the price.

2. We Tow for Free - Once you accept our offer we'll schedule a convenient time to pick-up your vehicle, often the same day.

3. We Pay you Cash - Get paid cash on the spot! We show up, you get paid. It's simple. If you prefer, we can also pay by check via USPS. The choice is yours.

Call Now for Quick 5 Minute Quote!