Matching You with a Pre-Screened Smog Check Center You will Love
Free Online Smog Check Diagnosis
$500 Free Consumer Repair Assistance
Failed Emissions Test
How to Pass the Test
Who Else Wants To Pass the Smog Check
Which Type Should I Choose?

Hard to Find Smog Parts - Questions & Answers

Question: It has no Catalytic Converter; it’s a 1979 International Scout II. 108K miles. Is it required for a Smog Test? I just want to know so I can negotiate if I have to have one installed.

Answer: It should have a CAT. The only 1979 model International without a CAT is the diesal version. And yes, it will require a smog inspection before registration.


Question: How I would go about getting around smog because I have no emissions parts on my truck and its a 1977 Ford F-150 full time 4-wheel drive and i have no way of getting the smog parts.

Answer: The State's Part Locator helps motorists locate hard-to-find emissions parts that are needed to bring their vehicles into compliance with state law. If the parts are not available, the they may be able to issue you a "Limited Parts Exemption". In most cases the needed parts are found. You may contact the State Smog Check Parts locator by calling (800) 826-3566. They can offer you places to find the parts for most cars, trucks, vans, SUVs and even RV/Motorhomes. Common manafacturers they deal with include, Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GM, Honda, Intinity, Kia, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Nissan, Saab, Toyota.

If they are unable to help you, you may seek assistance from the state smog referee’s office in the form of a waiver.


Question: I have a 1985 Chevy Corvette that I am trying to repair. All the emission hoses have been removed (locations not identified) and the underhood decal is missing. I have tried to find the routing. I bought a Haynes and Chilton manuals but they were of no help. I've tried a couple of dealers but the decal has been discontinued. I've tried Ecklers but they do not carry the decal. I've spent hours searching the web with no success. Do you know a location where I can find the hose routing information?

Answer: You have two options... The first is visiting a reputable smog check repair business which has been in business for at least 15 years, and has kept their old Chilton repair manuals (these are not the type sold at auto part stores - these manuals are intended to be used by expert mechanics rather then the public). You may then ask them if you can copy/note see the diagram for your vehicle.

If that doesn't work you can try checking with the State's Smog Check Parts Locator Hotline at (800)826-3566.


Question: My Ford truck has exhaust headers on it instead of factory exhaust manifolds. They are properly mounted and function the same as the factory manifolds. The only difference is they are made of tubing. The smog station said they will not test the truck unless I put the factory manifolds on the engine. These headers have been on the truck for at least 6 years and it has passed smog 2 or 3 times with them on. Do I need to change to factory manifolds?

Answer: The headers you've installed must have an executive order number, in order to show proof that the units are legally for use in California or are 50 State legal AND possess an EO number, (EO stands for Executive Order- this is the number given to the product by the government, certifying that the component is emissions legal) then you shouldn't have a problem passing the visual portion of the smog inspection.

Manufactures of aftermarket exhaust and emission components will stamp this number on the actual unit or they will print it the units manual, catalog or some other paperwork which pertains directly to the component in question. In some cases decals with the EO or ARB (Air Resource Board) numbers on them are provided also.